The International Alliance of Dermatology Patient Organizations (also known as GlobalSkin) is now accepting applications from Member representatives to stand for election for the Board of Directors. GlobalSkin Members have a wealth of experience and skills that are essential in contributing to the growth and prosperity of our Alliance and we look forward to your contribution. Read more about the opportunity available, the election process and how to apply below.
GlobalSkin Board of Directors
Do you have a passion for providing strong support to skin patients, understand a Board’s oversight role and have direct experience participating in events and initiatives led by GlobalSkin?
If so, then YOU can help build a better future for dermatology patients around the world! We are now accepting applications from representatives of full Member organizations who are interested in standing for election for the Board of Directors.
We foster diversity on our Board with no more than two members from each region and disease area, including organizations representing international geography and all skin diseases. Two seats are up for election in 2021.
We welcome candidates from Africa, the Americas, the Eastern Mediterranean and South-East Asia regions. As well, Members from any disease area are encouraged to apply as the limit for disease representation on our Board has not been reached. Please note, there are currently no Board positions available in 2021 for the European and Western Pacific Regions where we already have two sitting Board Directors in each of those regions.
Your Role as a Board Director
As an elected Board Director, you will help advance the development of the organization and grow the GlobalSkin movement. Your role will directly contribute to setting strategic direction and provide oversight as we work to improve the lives of those affected by dermatological conditions around the world through research, advocacy and support.
GlobalSkin Board Directors contribute their time and energy to our movement and are responsible for providing quality advice during their tenure. In doing so, they benefit directly from this prestigious professional development opportunity.
Board Directors act in the best interests of GlobalSkin as a whole, act independently in a personal capacity and not as the representative of any other group, and maintain confidentiality.
Board Directors are elected by Members for a three-year term and may serve up to a maximum of five consecutive terms (assuming they are re-elected following the conclusion of each term).
Desired Skills and Background
For our 2021 election, we are seeking two Board Directors who:
- Represent our full Member organizations that support skin patients
- Demonstrate a passion for representing skin patients and/or skin patient organizations
- Understand a Board’s role of overseeing the work of the GlobalSkin team and setting strategic objectives
- Have previous experience sitting on or working with a Board of Directors, including a solid understanding of board governance
- Have a good understanding of GlobalSkin and its mission through direct experience participating in our events and/or initiatives
GlobalSkin's Board Meetings take place in English. Candidates would need to understand written and spoken English.
What's In It for You and Your Patient Organization?
- You will gain expertise as a board director in a global organization
- You will develop new skills and experience, as well as insights into global issues that can affect the patients you serve nationally or regionally
- You will participate in international events and meetings
- You and your organization will make connections with patient leaders and other dermatology stakeholders in other countries
- You will help raise the profile and reputation of your organization
Click here to view the Terms of Reference for GlobalSkin’s Board of Directors.
Eligible Seats for the 2021 Board Election
We foster diversity on our Board with no more than two members from each region and disease area including organizations representing international geography and all skin diseases. For 2021, we are seeking two new Board Directors with the region and disease criteria as shown in the adjacent tables and the notes to follow:
Apply Now for GlobalSkin Board of Directors
To express your interest in joining GlobalSkin’s Board of Directors, complete and submit your application form by September 10, 2021, at 5:59 pm EST (23:59 CET) at which time the application period will close.
About GlobalSkin's 2021 Election Process
Every year GlobalSkin holds an election to fill vacant seats on its Board of Directors. Any representative of a Full Member organization is welcome to apply to stand for election to fill any upcoming vacant seats on the board. This Board Director election process consists of three phases:
- Application Period
- Candidate Campaign
- Election and Results
- Full status Member representative submits a Board of Director application
- The application form confirms eligibility and asks the candidate questions about motivations and qualifications to serve on the GlobalSkin Board of Directors
- The application is reviewed by Nominating Committee
- The applicant is informed as to whether they have been accepted as a Board of Director candidate
- A candidate profile is created and shared on the GlobalSkin website
- Candidate actively campaigns on GlobalSkin Workplace and through any other social media platforms
- The candidate is introduced at a "Meet the Candidate" webinar on September 24, and the GlobalSkin Annual General Meeting (AGM) on September 29
Election and Results:
- Online election of new Board Directors begins at the close of the AGM
- GlobalSkin Members, with Full Member status, vote for their desired candidates through Simply Voting—an online platform
- Voting will take place for a one-week period
- After the voting period ends, votes will be tabulated
- Newly elected Board Directors will be notified and then announced on the GlobalSkin website
For 2021, the election process begins in June and concludes in October; it proceeds as follows:
Application period begins: June 22, 2021
Application deadline: September 10, 2021
Candidates notified of eligibility: September 20 - 23, 2021
"Meet the Candidates" webinar: September 24, 2021
Campaign Period: September 24 – October 6, 2021
Candidates Profiled at AGM: September 29, 2021
Online Election: September 29 – October 6, 2021
New Board Directors Announced: October 20, 2021