GlobalSkin partners with the International League of Dermatological Societies (ILDS) on several initiatives including co-hosting webinars for GlobalSkin and ILDS Members, bringing topics related to COVID-19 to the forefront, and coordinating access to key subject matter experts.
Memorandum of Understanding
The International Alliance of Dermatology Patient Organizations (also known as GlobalSkin), and the International League of Dermatological Societies (ILDS) are delighted to announce the next stage in our collaboration and partnership through a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). The statement was signed on March 31, 2021.
The ILDS and GlobalSkin have been working towards shared goals since GlobalSkin’s founding in 2015 during the World Congress of Dermatology in Vancouver Canada. Since that time, the relationship has continued to grow and flourish. This MoU will enhance our collective efforts – now and in the future – to improve the lives of dermatology patients through better access to care and treatment, and address stigmatization, persecution, or economic disadvantages due to their conditions. Together, we are stronger.
Please read the full statement here.
ILDS World Skin Summit
GlobalSkin is a proud member of the planning committee for the upcoming ILDS World Skin Summit taking place in Lima, Peru, October 13-15. This is a special and unique global event that will bring together the International League of Dermatological Societies (ILDS), Members - leaders of national dermatology societies - and Partner organizations together to discuss the challenges they face. The Summit provides an opportunity for leaders to share experiences and develop strategies to improve skin health at local, national, regional, and global levels.
A delegation of patient organization leaders will also participate at the Summit including GlobalSkin’s Board President Marc Yale (IPPF), Board Director Tran Hong Truong (Vietnam Psoriasis Network (PSORVIET)), and CEO Jennifer Austin. They will also be joined by GlobalSkin Members, Antoine Gliksohn (International Albinism Network); Rachel Ogola (Kenyan Atopic Eczema Society); and Marin Petroco (Atopic Eczema Argentina). The goal is for participants to work together towards a vision of attaining the best possible skin health for all people around the world.
World Congress of Dermatology
World Congress of Dermatology is taking place in July 2023, in Singapore. Jennifer Austin, GlobalSkin CEO has been invited to sit on the Scientific Program Planning Committee for this prestigious event. Having the patient voice represented during the planning of the WCD will ensure that patient advocates and disease experts have opportunities to be part of the scientific program, the opportunity to attend the Congress, and to have an exhibition booth. GlobalSkin’s leadership team is working closely with the ILDS Leadership to ensure the patient perspective is represented and present in Singapore.
GlobalSkin has recently been featured in the ILDS Newsletter
- Changing the Way the World Sees Dermatology Through the GRIDD Project - ILDS - contribution by GlobalSkin (September 2021)
- An open letter to Christine Janus on her retirement from IADPO - by the ILDS (February 2021)
- ILDS Supports patient-centricity through its work with GlobalSkin - contribution by GloblaSkin (December 2020)
- September 22, 2021, "Changing the Way the World Sees Dermatology Through the GRIDD Project", at 10:30 - 11:30 (EDT) | 16:30 - 17:30 (CEST).
Presenters: Jennifer Austin, GlobalSkin, CEO (Interim),and Rachael Pattinson, GRIDD Researcher, PhD Candidate, Cardiff University. We will also be joined by Bill McCue, patient leader and founder of the PRP Alliance and Dr. Ramesh Bhat, Board Member of the International League of the Dermatological Societies (ILDS) and the Vice-Chair of the ILDS Patients’ Organisations Working Group (POWG).
- February 2021, "Creating the Rare Disease Movement: The Power of the Patient Community", with guest speaker, Dr. Ségolène Aymé, Emeritus Director of Research at the French Medical Research Council (INSERM) and the founder of Orphanet, talking about the integral part patients and patient leaders play in the rare disease movement.
- May 2020, a GlobalSkin’s COVID-19 Virtual Townhall, “Understanding COVID-19 & Its Impacts on Dermatology Patients”, with Dr. Esther Freeman. Professor Luca Borradori, Chair of the ILDS Patient Organisation Working Group (POWG), spoke about the active role that the ILDS has taken in engaging with the global dermatological community during COVID-19. For more information on ILDS and their work on COVID-19, please click here.
- November 2020, "The Role of Nurses in the Management and Overall Medical Pathways of Dermatological Patients", with Elfie Deprez (a PhD student with a Masters in Nursing, specializing in psoriasis) discussing the integral part nurses and nurse practitioners play in the patient journey.
GlobalSkin Members can access the webinar videos or rgister to attend in our Members Only Area.
GlobalSkin participates in two Committees led by the ILDS:
- ILDS Patient Organizations Working Group - read more about this working group here.
- World Congress of Dermatology 2023 Scientific Programs Committee – this is the first time a patient representative has been included in the program planning.